Friday, August 06, 2010

Stuff

I just watched The Story of Stuff.

That's about half an hour of my life I'll never get back. That has to be the most overly simplistic wad of crap I've seen since the last Michael Moore clips I watched.

I don't disagree with the basic premise of the film ... or documentary ... or whatever it is. Quite to the contrary, actually ... I do, indeed, think we consume too much.

What makes my head hurt is that the narrator suggests ... actually, she pretty much claims outright ... that we consume because corporations fool us into doing so.

Hogwash.

The entire premise is predicated on the notion that we're too stupid to see the consequences of our actions, and that we're just ignorant sheep being led around by incredibly evil companies.

The reality is actually far more disturbing. I think the fact is that we don't care. We want smaller, lighter, newer cell phones and ever more stylish clothes and safer cars and new freaking cancer drugs ... and we'll exploit whoever or whatever it takes to get it.

We indulge ourselves in worshiping this excuse for a documentary and Al Gore and global warming and acid rain and save-the-rainforest causes because it makes us feel better. Or, rather, it makes us feel less bad about the havoc we're causing.

In the end, yeah, we consume to much. And it's nobody's fault but our own.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home